Friday, November 25, 2011

Here we go again

I had planned on writing many more times during vacation, but then we seriously lacked internet and so it didnt happen. I thought I would get all this work done, plan my summer school entirely and yet I did not of that. Mostly I enjoyed sitting on the beach doing nothing at all. I realized upon my return that it helped so much to simply let my mind clear. Life here had filled my brain and I was so stressed and tired. It was lovely to be in the moment, watch the waves, laugh (and fight) with my family. Yes, we had plenty of little moments of tension, but the thing is that we were TOGETHER and able to spend enough time together that we got on each other´s nerves. It´s normal.

My family came to the fazenda a week ago. Alex and my dad ended up being very sick for a whole day, but the first day we went on visits in Passagem. I can´t really express the joy I felt with them there. The simplicity that I have learned to live was completely present. My favorite moment was in a visit of a large family, on a hill, at the end of the train track, overlooking the ocean. A little boy who was too shy to be near me all of a sudden walked up to my mom and placed his hand on her thigh. A simple gesture. She hadn´t said anything to him and yet he felt her soul love and wanted her. They took the cutest picture together. He walked up to her another time and then retreated back to his own mother.

My brother loved playing with the kids in the fazenda. My dad had given me tic-tacs. I thought I´d give one to the kids. Of course they wanted more. I, being strict, would never have given more. Alex, however, asked how many they each wanted, in which they replyed 3,5, and 10. He gave them to them. I just laughed at our differences. PLUS he doesn´t have to live with them. He can just be the cool uncle.

As for life here, I paused today from painting to get on the itnernet. I am painting our tiny library. One wall is wet from a broken pipe in the bathroom, so I will only paint 3 walls so that I can get the bookshelves up and the books out of my other room. They are starting to drive me CRAZY.

I met Bea´s new sister on Tuesday. Bea has no interest in meeting her (it´s her biological sister), yet prays for her each day during daycare. Another girl (sister of Pixinha) -- 14 years old -- gave birth on Monday. THe baby has an infection so is in the hospital until next Thursday. Since she is a minor and can´t stay alone, I will be going to stay with her tomorrow night (pray for me. i´m nervous).

last night we had a big photo exibition of pierre verger in the feminine institute. I could not believe its beauty. We had about 80 guests and it will be up for two months! He photographed Bahian children and captures something absolutely incredible. Anyway, I´m rushing as I have wanted to write for so long and just haven´t had a chance. I hope that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I pray for you as always.

Love,
Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment