Thursday, December 15, 2011

Happy third week of advent

Alegria-- happiness, joy. We are quietly preparing for Christmas here. We bought a strand of lights for our house because we literally had nothing. We dont have a tree or presents to buy. There is no stress or anything. I started to think of it as this: we prepare in the silence that accompanied the Holy Family the night of Christ´s birth. Or maybe it´s more like those many days that Mary and Joseph were traveling. We are back here in the forest away from the hustle and bustle. We rest and pray and work and quietly prepare in ourselves. I wonder if Mary was preparing like this to raise the Son of God. It has been one of my strongest moments of prayer for all of my sponsors and family and friends. Maybe it´s because we´re in the Fazenda do NATAL (CHristmas farm). The spirit consumes me.

The kids all finished school this week. Mateus has to do two makeup exams (one in english.. obviously his american mother did not help him enough in studying... and one in portugues.. you can tell he lives with foreigners?) Then it´s summer vacation. I hope we can go to the beach a little, but then also explore all there is to see in Salvador. We are going to paint our little brains out too. The library is so so so cute. Sunny/Ninella helped me hang things (I have never seen a woman who could do so many things so well.. bake, cook, sing, cut grass, do pottery, hang things impecably) sorry for my poor english and spelling. She and I have become such good friends. I am so lucky to have her. She puts me in my place and helps me to relax and laugh and sing silly songs. I think the rest of the community thinks Americans are nutty. I guess I prefer that than to be so serious....

Oh my! My time is up. I have so much to tell you about. The bishop came last week and it was a wonderful advent. The pictures are here: https://picasaweb.google.com/107460003460077535168/8DeDezembroDe2011FotosLLunel?feat=email

We are starting our Christmas decoration crafts. I am covered in glitter 24/7. Anita told me I should where it on purpose because it´s pretty! We are starting to prepare for many visits here in the Fazenda. I feel that kind of happiness deep down in my heart. I get angry or upset or annoyed. It passes for 5 minutes and then I sit in this happiness in knowing this is where I am to be in this moment.

I pray for all of you. every day. even if you dont believe it. please pray for me to always follow His will!
Love Erica

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful thoughts my sweet daughter. Loved the photos! And I was so happy that I know so many of those beautiful faces in the photos.

    ReplyDelete