Thursday, August 25, 2011

Life´s a rollin

Time is passing quickly. Hit 7 months this weekend. Which means I have 11 months to go. This month I have committed to studying my portuguese again because well.. I got stuck at my 4 month point. Subjunctive is hard to learn. I remember in high school learning for spanish and it went in one ear and out the other. I figured it wasn´t important.. Ms Laveae spoke and I prayed I´d remember it enough for the test. And now. It´s haunting me in portuguese. It´s so confusing. If it is not for certain, you have to use a different tense.

The school is done for a few weeks until I receive the bookshelves and a few donated items from my incredible friends in Salvador. I´m trying to let the kids enjoy it, but it sure is hard to teach them to take care of things! I forget so very often that our children aren´t normal. They are the poorest children of a poor country. And so I can´t always expect them to be close to angels. I´m learning that their pain comes out at odd times. You tell one to finish their plate and they burst into tears. You walk in front of them and they fall in tears. For so long I was so frustrated until I realized, duh Erica. They don´t know how to express these pains they hold so deeply and uncounciously so they come out when we think it´s unnecessary.

Uba (Bea´s mom) and Tata started school yesterday. The first time for Uba in 10 years! She is going to learn to read so that she can read bus signs and things. It is very exciting and I am praying praying praying that it helps Bea. She has fallen so back after her hospital stay. And well... Uba doesnt help. Tata too has fallen back to the beginning. Pray for her and her walk here. And pray for me because I realize I have no patience for her.

I bought my plane tickets to go with my parents to Sao Paulo and Rio in November. I am so stoked to get to show them my life here. I hope they get to work a few days :)

We had a wedding here this weekend. It was nice to see everyone working together. Then afterward I went for a day of rest to my friend´s house in the Praia do forte. I thank God daily for bringing them into my life. Next time I will prepare a post about these amazing women again. :)

Send me updates of things to pray for. I still pray daily for all of you. Please pray for me and my community. We are asking God who to welcome because we are ready to expand once again. It was once 70 people here and now we´re at 35. Maybe some more kids to teach in my school house?

With much love,
Erica

1 comment:

  1. Dear Erica,
    Thank you for your posts! They help me a LOT in maintaining perspective.
    Regarding subjunctive, think of the phrase: "If I were a rich man..." (from Fiddler on the Roof.) That "I were" is the subjunctive in English--we use it too!
    We pray for you every day too!
    John (and Flor and Ximena and Paul)

    ReplyDelete