Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Girl Gets Sick

A virus spread through the kids of the Fazenda like wildflowers... and me. Each day a new child was waking up with a fever and a cold and Thursday was my turn. So I have been taking it very easy these past few days. I have moved houses to the Coroa to the Hearts Home in the Barrio. Life here is much different as I can see more easily the vibrancy of life of Brazilians. The Fazenda is a bit sheltered as we are such a mash of cultures. But now I will get to experience the dancing and the music and the food and the laughter of Brazilians.

We had a silent retreat this week in the Fazenda and it was an incredible way to prepare for lent. It is always difficult to find quiet time in life to properly prepare for lent, so I brought all of my friends and sponsors with me into the silence. I prayed for all of you in a deep way. And now we have 40 days in the desert. It is quite amazing after a few days to silence the way the world quietsdown and I can hear more clearly the whisperings of my heart.

We have to run and catch a bus now so I must go. I will write more this week!
some of the girls and boy in the neighborhood of the Coroa. Can you see the life in them?
Did you ever know you could make 7 payments on a shirt if its too expensive for you?

on my last day of rest at a beach!


the lighthouse

our "cabana"

Daniel, Tete, Nina, Bea

Jose, the baby of one of the French couples

a Favela in Salvador--truly incredible that people live like this


the girls painting masks for Carnival at my house

No comments:

Post a Comment