Wednesday, March 16, 2011

How does Angelina do it?

What an incredible couple of days it has been. I am in Simoes Filho deep in the Favela. I had this really funny idea that it would be like Angelina Jolie in the middle of Africa. My hair flowing in the wind (clean, shiny hair) and the children holding my hands. In reality, I have to wear my hair in a pony tail because of there is always a chance of lice. I actually think I already caught lice from Tete, but I am too afraid to inquire further in my scalp. Walking to the grocery store I come back literally dripping in sweat. During lunch today, I was dripping in sweat after just sitting and eating. I permanately have dirt between my toes.

The reality of the life is that we are woken up at 5am with water dripping from the ceiling because the water tank is over flowing. Then in the middle of the day we are unable to shower because there is no more water arriving. The reality of the life here is cutting up a chicken (my very first time cutting a whole chicken) and finding a green tumor. The reality of the life is that is almost impossible to sleep because it is so hot.

However, even though it is not glamorous and I don't look like Angelina Jolie, the love here is incredible. My first visits a few days ago left me smiling deeply from my heart. When we walk the streets the people yell, "oi tia, oi tio" which is aunt and uncle. There is so much respect for the people of Pontos Coracao. When people pass our house, they yell hello and there is constantly someone at the window to ask for something. One time someone even asked to borrow my english-portuguese dictionary. They come to the house to get bandaids or for a cup of water. It is truly beautiful.

Last night we had mass in our tiny chapel and the door kept opening with more and more people. There we were in a tiny room celebrating together. With some people I just had met, yet I felt deeply their love for me. Afterward, there were two people that stuck around. A boy about my age started to sing and I was in awe. He was AMAZING. I have a lot of videos of him and when I am at a house for a day of rest I will upload the videos (it is much too slow here). It made me miss my brother. A lot. We invited them for dinner (thank goodness I made a lot of food) and we stayed up til 11 singing (I was just a bystander). I cannot express its beauty.

I have a feeling my entire time here will be marked by sweaty, uncomfortable moments and contrasted by the beauty of friendship and love. I hope you enjoy these pictures, some that really make me laugh this week.


Cecilia with Francisco at their day of despidida. They are back in Argentina now where Nicolas is a doctor and Cecilia is an artist (although now shell stay with Francisco)
isnt he beautiful
tete loves him

i love this picture of the men praying the Rosary with their babies
after Cecilia had Francisco, all the girls loved their baby dolls. this was so cute for there last moments in the Fazenda
bea and baby
my last moments with Francisco. It was realllly windy.
Giving their testemony
Cecilia, Nicolas, Francisco, and me
gabby had a dirty diaper. jonathan has never changed a diaper before so he went and put on an apron and got plastic bags... like he was cleaning up dog poop

her sister was not pleased with jonathans inability to complete this task

here he goes
she says, come on jonathan. its not that difficult
he completed the task!
i guess all kids like 'telephones'
jonathan and gabby a little girl in the neighborhood
she calls me 'eca' (see the sweat?)
hallo hallo. tudo bom?
this is me after my 10 minute walk to the grocery store
I received an apron from my grandpa. He said that if he gets his clothes dirty, he has a wife to clean them so he thought I should have his apron. Here I am cooking with it!

Padre Guillarme falling asleep as we listen to music after dinner

A talk that Padre Guillarme gave during the Despidida of Nicolas and Cecilia
in salvador

Love you,
Er

2 comments:

  1. LOL! Jonathon changing the diaper is just about the funniest thing ever! Love his apron :)

    Looks like I should bring sweatbands, eh?
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought oil cloth for aprons but think they may be horribly hot. Thought they would be easy to just wipe clean. I will make a couple and you can see if they just make you crazy hot. Sophi is helping me design them. Think pattern and color and beauty, like you.....

    ReplyDelete