Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Sixth week already

I am in my sixth week here, which is almost hard to believe. Each day my week gets more full as I am asked to do more tasks around the Fazenda. I am having difficulty finding time to study my portuguese and when I do finally sit down to study I tend to fall asleep after fifteen minutes. I shock myself often when I no longer need to translate from English to Portuguese in my head and the sentences flow out naturally. Of course this is not all the time, but often when I'm with the kids it comes more easily.

I had another weekend of rest to get to know the city of Salvador. I stayed at another French community called the Verbo de Vida. Marie, a french girl my same age, and I went to the Paladrino, which holds very old and beautiful buildings. We went to the Marcado to do some shopping for her. She is returning to France in two weeks so she had a list of Brazilian goods that she wanted. It was my first experience using money here. We are given a certain amount for what we need and then we keep all the receipts and keep count of what we spend for what things. Each month each missionary is allowed 30 reais. I didn't realize until my last day that 30 reais equals 18 dollars. The buses are pretty expensive and so most of my money went to transportation and then I got a little bit of food. But for the first time monetarily I felt connected with the poor. Sure, I know what it's like to be left wanting something at Anthropology where the dresses are $200. But I have never been left wanting food for lunch or a bottle of water because it is hot. I had to keep recounting what I had and what I needed to be able to get home. And yes, I wanted the beautiful dresses and the beautiful hammocks and goods in the market, but more than anything I wanted some food. And was unable to satisfy this need. What a humbling experience and something that is going to take time to get used to. It made me very aware of the difference between my needs and my wants.

We also went to a beautiful park. We encountered a Nutrition event and I weighed myself--I lost weight. Maybe one of the first female Heart's Home missionaries to do so. Then we went to the beach. I was in heaven when I took a nap in the sand. Marie didn't care for the sitting so I was only allowed 30 minutes. We walked and walked. Another thing I'm learning--compromise. Whoever I end up marrying is a lucky lucky man because I will be a pro at compromising by the end here. The next day she took me to a lake that is surrounded in white sand and then after we went to another beach. Then, I had my first experience of taking the bus ALONE! I made it back safe and sound, a true miracle!
I'm having a great week with Bea as we begin to learn our letters and our shapes. Today she was ready for daycare an hour and a half early and wouldn't leave my side until we went. We love to sing together as I make up songs about everything.

This afternoon all the girls are coming to my house to make masks for Carnival. The whole city is shutting down for these festivities this month and we are trying to create fun and wholesome events for everyone in the Fazenda. I just found out an hour ago that I will be going to the Heart's Home in the favela nearby. They will only have two people because two are leaving this weekend. And then Jonathan is going to Rio with Padre Arno to talk about Hearts Home and find more sponsors for the Fazenda. I will stay there for 15 days. I am a bit nervous because Ive finally begun to find my place here. But I trust in Gods plan for this and so I go happily!

With much love overflowing from my heart,
Erica

3 comments:

  1. Hooray Erica! Have fun on your 15 day stay at the other HH. Miss you and love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It made me very aware of the difference between my needs and my wants." I know that no matter how many times I remind myself of this, of this life I will be living, I can't realize the difficulty of it until I am there. You are strong and rich in Him!

    Blessings in la favela!
    xo

    ReplyDelete