Thursday, March 1, 2012

Changes and more changes

One thing this mission has brought me (among many things) is how to love change. When I think about it, I always did like change ie. phoenix, indianapolis, phoenix, chicago, europe, brasil. However, I used to have that anxiety of newness. I liked my routine. The kids started school this week, which means that I am now accompanying Tete to school by bus 3 days a week. We realized that she needed a more specialized school because she was not learning and the only option was in a different city than the other kids. So. an hour on the bus in the morning and an hour in the afternoon. During school hours I will volunteer in the school like an apostolate. The children are all special needs and because it is funded by donations, they are always in need of help. The director said she would talk to their counsel, but then get this! She says (before I say anything), "we are wanting to open an art workshop for the kids. Would you be interested?" And me, "oh yes, I love art. I remodeled our school house last year." And her, "perfect. just what we need!" And I sang and danced inside of me. If you remember months ago when I was finishing our school here, I posted about the idea of decorating poor schools. It came out of that deep place of desires in my heart, but I figured it would be far far in the distance. And once again God has such surprises for me! Even my friend, Margarette, told me she could find me a school here to work at and I said, Oh Irmã would never let me. And look at this, it came all on its own!

That same day, Monday, Daniel moved into my house. He turned 8 last week. Marie Ines and Renaud, the french couple who have taken care of him for the past two years, are going back to France. Plus, Irma Josette switched houses and I received a different nun from Argentina. (Yes I am wondering why they keep putting all the nuns in my room). Anita asked me who would clean the house now. I laughed and said me and Irmã. She said it´s not possible because I have the school and Irma has the church and the kitchen. I said we´d have to figure it out. It´s taking some time to adjust. I no longer have a daily nap. Yesterday I decided I just had to sleep and Daniel escaped from his nap! The first night I was awoken two times because his mosquito net had fallen on him. We have to wake up extra early because he takes forever to get out of bed. He throws tantrums and never listens and is really testing us to see what he can get away with. Unfortunately for him, I´ve known him for a year and taken care of him too many times to fall for his games. However, it´s not easy. And then we have lovely moments together. The morning hugs, the reading books before bedtime, the sitting in the hammock swinging and talking about the day. He is having to adjust to us and to not living with his older brother who has been the staple in his life. Yesterday I wanted to cry (while I was pulling him in the dirt.... I still can´t believe I actually did that......) because I know the way he is acting out is just a reaction of the pain he feels inside of him.  I felt lost as to what to do, yet I find that my love grows for him each day. That I have to find the way to make him feel loved--his unique way. Pray for me PLEASE because I am new to this mom thing.

I got to thinking: First I had a twenty year old then a fourteen year old and now an 8 year old. What is next? a 2 year old? or my own baby one day?

This weekend I am holding an art exhibition of all of our art work from summer. It is turning out to be beautiful. Even though it was so utterly exhausting, that time with them made a deep bond between us all. When everyone found out Daniel would live with me, the kids became VERY jealous. Everyone wanted to hold my hand and it ended in ALL of them crying. I gave Bea a pen to calm down. Then Tete wanted a pen. And Daniel just kept repeating, "Well I Live with her!" I thought to myself, what is God doing to me.

And in the end of all of this--- I am utterly happy. A joyfulness that is oozing out of me. I feel complete and me and happy and peaceful. And so so so so so grateful.

Thank you to all of you who pray for me. who love me. who encourage me and help me keep going.
I send my prayers,
Erica

No comments:

Post a Comment