Thursday, June 28, 2012

3 weeks and counting

So what happens the last month of a mission? I was pretty preoccupied by this question for months (I still have that stress tendancy). Well, there is a burst of joy. I feel like every day is Christmas eve. I wake up happy, stay happy, and go to bed happy. Sure, I found happiness a long time ago, but on top of that daily peace, I feel like a child. And along with that is laziness. There is so much to finish in these last weeks-- a school house to re organize, a bedroom to clear out, a huge huge huge  (talking 150+) party to plan, and kids to play with. Instead, I am decorating the remodel of one of the house´s kitchen. The boys let me have full say on their kitchen. I still don´t know how I got so lucky. Tuesday we decided to do it, Tuesday 10am we knocked down the walls and old counter, Wednesday Cristiano and I went to the construction store. I got to pick out the tile for the floor and walls (yes, I asked why they weren´t redoing the floor and so they said okay, lets go for it!) Then we picked out the sink (which there are no choices, everything really expensive and poorly made). We made the floor higher to the kitchen to separate from the living room and well.... lots of other things. Oh it makes me so happy! I decided that I must find a husband like that... whatever ideas I have, he makes them possible........

And what else do I do? Sit with my friends and drink coffee and talk. I´ve started to realize that I may never see them again. Okay or at least for a really long time. And so I want to spend every moment with them. Unfortunately I´m not talking about my Brasilian friends, but my missionary friends. I´ve never really told you much about them. I have three BEST friends.. the unlikeliest of friends.

Cristiano is 41, from France, lived here off and on for 8 years. Sunny, 36, from 10 minutes from my house in Phoenix.. didn´t know her until she arrived here 6 months after me. Adriano, 24, from Argentina. They are my life savers. They help me through the hard times and laugh with me when things are good. They are always willing to help with my crazy ideas (like a gigantic corn on the cob for our party of São João). Cristiano is very wise and calm and serene and teaches me so much (he´s the one who opened the wallet every time I said I wanted something for the kitchen. he is my model for my future husband). Adriano is funny and shares his weaknesses in faith and his constant desire to be better. And Sunny is my go to girl. She lets me complain and always helps me through. We walk together even though sometimes the road is a bit rocky. I feel so very sad to leave them even though I´m so very happy to go home.

You know, it´s just the time. It´s that same call that I felt that brought me here that I now feel is calling me back home. I´m feeling hopeful and excited about what He has in store next.

The kids are on a one week break from school. I took them to the movies on Monday-- first movie experience for two of the kids. It was wonderful. Rafaela told me that at her swim class, when you say something dumb, there are people who hold up an "L" on their forehead and say "LASER." I died laughing. I told her it was lOser, not lAser. So now we all go around saying laser to people.

Thank you for your prayers, I know they are what are helping me through this time. I continue to pray for you too!!!

Love
Erica

PS if you want my resume to give to anyone that you know could possibly have connections in NY for a job, let me know. It is ready!!

No comments:

Post a Comment