Friday, January 7, 2011

Standing Still

I began reading a book this week by Catherine Doherty, a woman whose ideas we follow in our charism of Heart's Home. It is about pilgrimage, especially the pilgrimage to the heart. Something she wrote really struck me and I thought I would share.

"I realize that the pilgrim is one who also stands still. It's not easy to stand still. Stillness is beautiful and silence is delectable, but they require a tremendous amount of patience, and a faith in God that is almost unshakable. Hence they require constant prayer: "Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief!"

Yes, a pilgrimage is also standing still. I'm talking about a strange form of pilgrimage that is hard to explain. It's so hard to explain what happens between a human heart and God. Because he would said, "Arise, come, take up your cross and follow me" suddenly turns around and says, "Stand still--completely still--as I stood still before the Sanhedrin, before Pilate, before the Roman soldiers and even through my flagellation. And know that there will come a day when you will learn the goal of this pilgrimage that I ask you to undertake."

Yes, you will stand in perfect stillness because your hands and feet are nailed; you are unable to walk. That's a pilgrimage too. In fact, it is a supreme pilgrimage. In a way, the crown of pilgrimages." The Call to the Pilgrimage of the Heart

So I finally had complete understanding and calmness of what these past four months have been. And then, in amazement, I was granted my visa. I waited for this day for so long. As usual I have procrastinated my packing and it will get done on Sunday afternoon.

There is so much to look forward to. So much hope and excitement overflowing my heart. Thank you for all your prayers, always.

No comments:

Post a Comment