Friday, February 11, 2011

At last... fotos!


Que bonito all the desire to help with my escolina. I need to create a list of things I desire. I have a dream already in my head of things I need, but quite a bit is impractical to send all the way from the US. BUT I will make a list for now of things for the children---materials and eventually once I figure out how much money I can spend here, I will begin asking for other things!! What a blessing.

Today is my first day of descansa--rest day. Irma and I came to Salvador to the small office they have and I was able to upload pictures. I am literally dripping sweat sitting here, but I accept the sacrifice because I am so excited to share tehse with you. I had a total fail though in my rush to pack that I forgot to take photos of the church, other houses, the school, etc. But I guess it's like a relationship.... you dont reveal EVERYTHING right away because if you did, the other person would lose interest. And so I keep some secrets to reveal at another time!!
the gate into the fazenda!
my first view of the hill!
bea received a new violin. this is irma josete, my roommate
a sign for me!

the view from the window in our kitchen
the little altar in our kitchen
our kitchen that is always full of many many antsshowing padre arno. i also live with padre
tete and bea in our hammock
me and bea at a festa to say goodbye to one of the amigas das criancas, the hearts heart about 20 minutes away from us.
the church where i attended a two hour mass!
the bug that joined me in prayer.
irma and me!
beautiful beach for my first time going!!!
bea in some shades to block her eyes from the salt water
gabriel, 4, who belongs to lucas and estefanie a french couple. he was left by his mother at 6 days old and they are trying to adopt him. they have been in teh fazenda SEVEN YEARS.
building a piscina
gorgeous!
this beautiful resort!
a very funny photo for you
tete, oh tete. she is 7 and often heard singing throughout the village. she is adopted by dona joselita, my walking partner
after the beach, we went to this museum of sea turtles
nina and marcus. marcus's brother is daniel. they live with maria ines and reno and baby jose, from france.
carolina, a permanent member, bea and tete
jean lucas and diego
rafaela and daniel as ninja turtles
i went to another two hour long mass. the church and city were very beautifully, though so it made it worth it.

in the church
nina, irma josete, and rafaela. depois missa we went to lunch at the priests house. i even got to drink a beer!
a church entirely made of wood. the altar and all are carved wood. amazing
a cow arrived in my front yard!
padre arno teaching something
why doesnt daniels hat fit? i have no idea
me and nina
my lovely bea
me and dona louranhia, a missionary from brazil
i live with a lot of french people as you can tell by this outfit
we all went to the beach for an outting before school began. que lindo!



reno tried to climb the tree to get coconuts
this is diego. he has lived here since he was a young boy. he was abandoned into a little corner. we took him in and he is amazing now. he doesnt talk, but he definitely speaks with his eyes.
mateus was much better at it
bananas from our banana tree!
the hammock
the view from the other side of the porch... there is our laundry basin to wash
the beautiful church
the clothes line after i did diegos laundry
the church in the passagm which is where many of our people come from. it is an INCREDIBLY poor town, i guess you could call it. but the church is gorgeous and overlooks the amazon river!!

i had my first dinner party!
here is my bed. there is nothing on the wall because i didnt bring anything. and patrick, no i never make my bed. it is much too difficult with my mosquito net
the clothes of irma and then all of my things. she also has a desk and a bookshelf. and two of these shelves are mine. i refold my clothes every week because they get very untidy...

Until more,
Erica



No comments:

Post a Comment