Wednesday, February 9, 2011

life of adventure

I have this great desire to share the beauty of this place with you. It was quite impossible to convey anything while I sat in the little box with the computer and so now I am preparing in advance. I realized again today that this experience with Hearts Home is not only for me and I have a duty to share my life with all those who support me. Because without others, I would not be here. I am very conscious of my sponsors and know that I do not live these things alone... that I am only the vessel for immense love from home and God. And so, I carefully spend time to share OUR life.

I am receiving many graces here. 3 things I never would have guessed I am good at: cooking, portuguese, and futebol (soccer... said foot-chee-bol). As we all know my cooking past is non-existent, yet the three nights a week that I cook dinner, I get much applause. And theyre not just being nice. They thank I pulled a Madison and just said I didnt know how to cook even though I actually did. Next it is known that my memory is terrible, yet after two weeks I miraculously can speak as well as the people who have been here for five months. all of the Brazilians ask me if I knew portuguese before I came. And lastly, I was very timid to play soccer. After 2 weeks I finally conviced myself to just play. I was wearing my skirt from mass and then I made all of these amazing plays. They said,"ah, the american knows how to play futebol!" Marcus, an eleven year old very very intelligent boy who a few years ago was found eating garbage on the side of the road with his little brother, asked me "erica, youre a soccer player in the US?"

One thing I havent gotten used to yet are all of our creatures. The bugs (things ive never seen in my life) frightened me. Cats jump out of shadows and I scream and I am still learning the lesson to wear pants and socks after 5pm because of the mosquitos.

Our life is full of adventures. The sink wont drain, the cat ate an entire months cheese, the dinner we prepared for the workers fell apart. It is never ending.

It is easy for me to share the funny things with you, but I also want to make sure to share the others. The people are very happy here, but in an instant I am reminded of their pasts. They come from pasts that I cant even imagine.

My first day of daycare was impossible. I showed up and there was bird poop from an entire summer on the ground. The mother was not pleased that all the other kids were leaving the fazenda for school and bia had to have school here. But Bia is only three years old. So Bia cried for the entire time. I was very discouraged (even though they told me this happens with every teacher who comes). So I spent my day praying about waht to do. And the little voice that I know as Mary's said to invite her to dinner. So I did. SHe was so happy. That afternoon without me knowing, she cleaned the entire school house until the floor was sparkling. This little act was to show me that she supported me in daycare. Today was a much better day and there was no crying. Bia was her happy self and I cannot wait to teach her so many things.And tonight is our dinner. I am making pizza and lemonade from our lemon tree. Squeezing all the lemons for the juice is impossible and I think it will be the last time I make it :)

As some of you know after college I gave myself sometime to dream of ANYTHING I wanted to be. No longer would I be tied to being a teacher. What I came up with was to design classrooms. Environment is so important for children. Yet of course I had to figure out if there was such a thing. Anyway, this has remained in my heart. And waht do I have here? A little school house of my own... a blank slate... a chalkboard, a bookshelf, a few desks, a computer and a few toys. I am in awe. I have found my mission here-- to create a beautiful, intriguing area for the kids. Quite a challenge because I dont have many things to work with, but it gives my imagination room to grow. Amazing, right?

I also have a new walking buddy! I have been getting up before 6 to run a little. It is the most beautiful time of day when the sun is rising and the birds are just awaking. Dona Josalita saw me and asked if she could join. She is the mother of three and recently adopted a child of her friend who didnt want her anymore. Tete is 7 and in quite bad shape. she doesnt know her numbers yet, but knows other adult things that no child should know... Dona has her hands full, but I was amazed and delighted that she felt comfortable to reach out to me. So three times a week we are walking and talking. Our first time, she showed up in a skirt. She has never in her life walked for leisure. So I pray for tennis shoes to replace her sandals. Each day her endurance will increase and we can go further. But no matter what, together we watch the sun rise and pouco a pouco (little by little) her story of life will be revealed to me.

Each day has its difficulties, but also many tiny miracles. I work for God in tiny ways--cleaning, cooking, laundry, talking and He in turn gives me tiny miracles.

My time is up so now I must go back to my life of adventure, trials, and many many many joys.

I miss my dear friends and think and pray every day.
Much much much love,
Ăˆrica

7 comments:

  1. You are so inspiring, er. Reading your posts make me take a step away from the constant go-go-go here and I realize that what seems important at the moment is so incredibly little. I love you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what size tennis shoe and where should i sent them? :)
    miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God Bless you, Er! Wouldn't it be great if we could all help you with the classroom? Please tell us things that you would like to have that we can send. I want to send a package and would love to include things for your wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. God Bless You! As T said, please let us know what we can send.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Gillean..you are AMAZING. Reading this has been the highlight of my day, it has reminded me to let go of then constant "go go go" of things and remember whats really important, so thank you!! Please let me know what I can send that will help with your classroom. I love you Erica.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erica, this post blessed me so much. I am so happy to hear of all the blessings you are receiving and how much you are learning. I'll be keeping you in my prayers

    Meredith Amadee

    ReplyDelete