Saturday, February 12, 2011

My First Wish List

I have to preface that I am living a life of poverty WITH the people of Brasil and so it is difficult for me to ask for too many things-- as they dont have families and friends to write to for things. I get about 30 dollars a month to buy things like shampoo, etc. However, I will ask for some things that can help all of us here (a few things are helping for the beauty of our life).

If you desire to mail a package, some things I desire
good scissors
a single hole punch
water color paper
bakers twine
any art materials for me (doing art is a good way to relax)
paper to write letters (i only brought one notebook and didnt realize that the reason i had never used it in 5 years was because it doesnt tear out easily)
a regular notebook to plan my lessons in
body wash (they only use bars of soap and i find it impossible to shave my legs with this!)
anything to decorate with... left over fabric even. our house is quite drab
pretty napkins that i can make flowers with to hang in my house (like i did for mimi's party)
paper dollies
a glue gun?!!! am i asking too much?

and for my little escolinha

with much thought, it is difficult to think of things for classrooms. we really just need the basics.
we have a ton of paint brushes, but no paint
we only have recycled paper with other writing on the other side, but no new paper or thick paper for painting
we have 4 things of playdoh
we have lots of colored pencils, but no crayons or markers
i would LOVE some childrens books in english (i want to make a library in one corner)
and if anyone desires, i would LOVE to hang a globe
other than that, let your imagination wander

what were your favorite things to do as a child? maybe you can comment on the bottom with your favorite things!! it is good for us to remember the joys of childhood...

i went through many stages--- beading necklaces, creating friendship bracelets with that thin thread (oh theyd love that!), making cards.

i would love to stock the shelves with tons of different supplies and let the kids use their imaginations too. These kids have toys yet they prefer to tear the banana leaves and make crowns and belts like "indians." how amazing would it be to put out all sorts of supplies and let them create what their hearts desire!

my prayer today for each of you as you read this is to connect with the child within. do something today that makes you giggle with glee. jump in a puddle or throw a snow ball.. since its winter there (i cant even imagine as we are in the middle of summer here).

Pontos Coração
Fazenda do Natal
Erica Tighe
Cx P 28
CEP 43 700 000
Simões Filho-BA
Brasil

with love from all of us here,
erica

1 comment:

  1. To Erica's friends and supporters:
    Be sure to check postage if you are on a tight budget. I mailed a box under 4 lbs and it was $30. I mailed a padded mailer another time; it was only $9. If I had known about the weight of the 4 lb box (it was only 3.17) I would have made sure to stock the box to the final ounce. :)

    We appreciate your love and care for Erica and the people of the Fazenda.

    ReplyDelete