Sunday, May 1, 2011

Children are the Light of the World

I have been dying to share this story with you and am finding it fitting that today is the day of the beatification of John Paul II. I have come across another saint who is only 5 years old. My church had asked what the Fazenda needed that they could collect. I sent some items and in the last minute I told them we needed socks. Each child only had one or two pairs. Daniel was using socks made for a three year old and as you can imagine they were always dirty and with plenty of holes. A little girl, Elle, heard that the children didn´t have socks. It was almost time for her 5th birthday and she was going to have a party. And do you know what she told her mom-- that instead of presents from all of her friends, she wanted each guest to bring socks for our children. I have never, in my twenty two years, heard a child give so selflessly. I try to think of her every day and ask God to make me more like her--this child who so easily thinks of others before herself. She is a little saint.

We received the package this week. All the kids knew it was coming because I recounted this story as often as possible. On our end, I have never seen children so happy for SOCKS. I know that when I was young and received socks or underwear I probably cried to my mom in ungratefulness. Well, everyone sat silently as I called their name to receive a bag of socks. Then I attempted to take some photos, but they just wouldnt sit still. And now every day they are wearing their tennis shoes around the fazenda with their new socks (normally we wear sandals in the fazenda and our tennis shoes are for when we leave and go to school).

The kids wanted to sing her happy birthday in Portuguese. I uploaded it here: (if you see Elle at church, make sure to tell her to watch this.. Ill be sending thank you cards soon!!!)











Marcos, Padre Arno, Me, Aldo (a new missionary from Peru), Irma Miriam, and Lucas for a goodbye dinner of an uncle who came for two months to help around the fazenda


And this is my new family here in Brazil. I went to Marie Helena´s house for my last day of rest and just fell in love with her family. Her sister, Zayde, is on the left with her daughter. She invited me into her home and is treating me like a daughter. Yesterday we went shopping and she bought me a beautiful new dress for when we have more formal occassions and a new shirt (which im wearing in the photo). She even bought a new pillow especially for my bed here. We had a lovely dinner of pizza in a little restaurant close to her house. They are my angels because without this rest I really would not make it in the Fazenda. Oh, how lucky I am!!





ps, we found out the problem with the boxes. i received so many at one time and they were so big that the police started searching them. they think we are importing goods to sell. so the only thing we can do is pay. BUT i cant receive any more big packages. and if you send things, write many different items on the front page... even if there isnt many different things in it. learning experience for us all :)

2 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to meet your new family. Please tell them your mama says muchas muchas gracias [in Portuguese please :) ] Thank you to them for caring for my sweet daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erica!!

    Ella says "Thank you for the note and the great birthday song! And, thank you Erica for helping the children. I can't wait until you get back so I can hug you."

    Thanks for the great post for Ella and all of her friends to enjoy! The kids are all excited to see where the socks were sent.

    Beth Schuster

    ReplyDelete