Thursday, April 7, 2011

Anyone know a solution for bats?

Much time has passed it seems since I have written of my life at the Fazenda. Each day I feel more and more like this is my home. These people are my family and I look forward to the new days--even though they're tiring. When I lay in bed at night, it seems like I have just woken up. I remember so many days working and watching the clock, so many days in school watching the clock--minutes passing like hours. Here, minutes pass like seconds. Never enough time to complete all that I want to.

Things changed in me while I was at the other Hearts Home--things I cant quite pinpoint. But the changes have made my life here more fulfilling. I am more relaxed and easy going.

I have made my plans for the school, which I couldnt be more excited about. For a month and a half I was cradling the ideas in my head and it was such a relief to put them to paper. Saturday I will upload photos! I wait for Irma Leticia to return from Argentina to discuss them and then I begin working! I am going to learn to build with wood. I hope I dont cut my hand off--it really does come in handy. (This weekend I was gluing something with childrens white glue. A little got on my arm. I didnt think anything of it until it started itching. The next day I woke up with gigant blisters on it--like a burn. Quite painful. And today one of our children, Apardecida, whom I have never spoken of didnt like that I was telling her to stop stirring the juice because it was making a mess. She grabbed my arm for half a second. She is so strong that it dug deep into my arm and I have very very painful marks from her. To describe how strong she is... she broke the door off of the bathroom last week. I will write another day of her story-- a beautiful girl of 15 who can barely talk due to atism (sp))

Since I arrived, I have been praying for things to fill the school. Materials and books, etc. 2 days ago we received piles and piles of brand new books for teachers in every grade and every subject. A school closed down and we received their things. We got piles of brand new paper and we will eventually get new chairs!!! One prayer answered. I was just so in awe.

Then I was shown a room we have that I didnt know about. It is filled with two giant bookshelves of books. At first I was excited. And then I smelt it--filled with bat poop. The books are so dirty. Many dont have covers and the ones that are for school work are filled with writing. The books to read are not inviting and I dont know any child who would want to read them. I will try to salvage what I can. Unfortunately I will have to throw out most of it.

Here is the big question. Does ANYONE know a solution to bats. They are in my school house too and they poop and pee EVERY DAY. I thought in the beginning it was bird poop for a year. No one days worth. We cant kill them because its against the law. There is a sound system that makes a sound that they dont like, but its much too expensive for us to buy. I keep the light on at night, but it doesnt help. So if anyone has any ideas for us to try.. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

I am praying (and need your prayers too) that new books will arrive. There are way too many beautiful books in the world to not have a few for the kids here. Luckily, something deep in me knows they will arrive here shortly. Then I can create my lovely little library for them. And thank you to ALL of you who have sent things to us. We are thrilled and use them every day.

I am also working on a retreat for the teenage girls in the Passagm. I want to create a friendship wtih them and eventually have this once a month. To talk of life and rest from their lives-- a hard, hard life where most 14 year olds have their first babies. So I ask for many prayers for this as well.

In other news, we are having a cow problems. Lots of cows are coming in and they are not ours. It is quite funny except at night when we cant sleep due to the mooo-ing. And our dog had 7 puppies yesterday!!

I am praying for all of you. Daily. Please send your prayer requests. I am finding that prayers are answered here in an incredible way. Our love is strong here and God is very present.

Love,
Erica

1 comment:

  1. i just read the end of this ... but have to wake up early tomorrow to be an extra in a movie! haha....hmmmm bats and cows eh? these sound like problems that come with the territory. look on the bright side tho...atleast it's not lions and scorpions...haha. hope ur well

    Ilya

    ReplyDelete